MINISTRY OF HEALTH
College of Surgeons of
East. Central and Southern Africa
REPUBLIC OF UGANDA
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR TRAINING IN NEUROSURGERY AT COSECSA-2017/8
The Government of Uganda has received funding from the International Development Association of the World Bank to support the Uganda Health Systems Strengthening Project (UHSSP) of the Ministry of Health. This five-year project is intended to contribute to the delivery of the Uganda National Minimum Health Care Package (UNMHCP) to Ugandans.
The Ministry of Health has received scholarships from Duke University Medical Center /Duke Global Health Institute in United States of America (USA) for the training in Neurosurgery at the College of Surgeons of East, Central, & Southern Africa (COSECSA). This collaboration is meant to build neurosurgery clinical capacity in Uganda, a neurosurgery center of excellence and train the next generation of neurosurgeons who will form a network to expand services throughout the country and hence, reduce on the referrals abroad for neurosurgical treatment.
The Ministry of Health therefore wishes to announce scholarships for Uganda Doctors who are interested in training in Neurosurgery in the COSECSA intake of the 2017/8 academic year as residents in Mulago Hospital.
The Government of Uganda actively promotes gender balance in its scholarship programmes and candidates working upcountry and health facilities which are surgery intensive will be given priority.
Eligibility of the applicant;
1. Should be in possession of MBChB. from a recognized University.
2. Should have a certificate of registration from Uganda Medical & Dental Practitioners Council.
3. Should have a certificate of good standing.
4. Should be working for government in a Public Health Facility and on a pay roll or Private Not for Profit (PNFP) Health Facility for not less than 2 years.
5. Should be willing to sign a bonding agreement with the Government of Uganda (GoU) to work for a period equivalent to the period spent on the training Programme
6. Should be having an admission letter from the COSECSA.
7. Possession of Master of Medicine in General Surgery will be an added advantage.
• Interested medical doctors within the above criteria should apply.
• The applicants should route their applications through their immediate supervisors.
• Successful candidates will be required to apply for official study leave.
• Hand written or typed application with a cover letter summarizing the applicant’s background, why they are interested in and well-suited for this program, and their intended area of research focus, a detailed CV, three letters of recommendation from authorities who can talk about his/her background, should be addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health attention; Ms. Christine Muhumuza, Uganda program coordinator, Makerere University School of Public Health, P.O.BOX 7072, 4th Floor Room 414, Mulago Kampala and submitted during working hours not later than 11 November 2016 at 5pm.
The list with the selected applicants will be displayed at Ministry of Health headquarters and Makerere University School of Public Health Room 414, Mulago Kampala by 18th November and interviews will be held on 24 Nov 2016 at 10:00am at Mulago Hospital.
For questions regarding general application procedures: email firstname.lastname@example.org