Water Quality Analysis Officer
- Post Date:January 3, 2017
Increasing self-reliance and supporting access to basic services
How to apply: Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications which must include at least 4 reference contacts (2 professional, 2 character references, including your supervisor and the most recent/previous employer), and daytime contact number to; The Human Resource Manager, GOAL Uganda; or email on email@example.com by 8th January 2017.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES. Indicate the position in email subject. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Founded in 1977, GOAL works to promote the realization of the fundamental rights of the poor, the vulnerable, and those affected by humanitarian crisis. GOAL Uganda’s current country programme focuses on Health Accountability and a market based approach to agricultural livelihoods and WASH. GOAL works on a district focused approach, and uses a mixture of direct implementation and partnerships with national and international civil society organizations, local government, the private sector and communities to give effect to our mission. GOAL is currently operational in the North, South, East and West of Uganda with six offices in Kampala, Bugiri, Abim, Kaabong, Agago, and Lira Districts.
GOAL is equal opportunity employer Women and People with disability are encouraged to apply. GOAL is committed to the safety and protection of children in our care from intentional and unintentional harm. Candidates will therefore be expected to comply with GOAL Uganda’s child protection policy.
GOAL is seeking to fill the following positions;
Water Quality Analysis Officer (1 Position)
General Description of the Role:
The Water Quality Analysis Officer shall be responsible for carrying out inspections and water quality tests on boreholes constructed under charity water, selected v/ater sources and households in Bugiri and Namayingo.
The Water Quality Analysis Officer will ensure that all interventions are carried out in a manner that corresponds to the standards and guidelines of the Government of Uganda for WASH as well as donor guidelines.
Reports to: Senior WASH Programme Manager
Contract period: 1 year
- Conduct water quality analysis of basic physio-chemical and bacteriological parameters with hands on Del Agua or Wagtech Water Testing Kits and other essential parameters / equipment usage.
- Ensure safe storage of water quality testing equipment and test samples both in the office and when collecting samples in the field.
- Collect and carry out quality testing of samples from the field, either in the field
- Analyse statistical data on water quality and prepare
monthly, quarterly and annual water and quality reports as per the donor requirements.
- Ensure collected water samples follow chain of custody rules and Master Schedule and labels are properly completed;
- Monitor and Review water quality testing processes, and provide recommendations for improvements;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of sampling, tests, investigations, procedures and corrective actions taken in relation to potable water quality. Ensuring all filing of these records are done on a daily basis and in an ordered manner.
- Routine use and maintenance of applicable test equipment, instruments, turbidimeters, comparators, reagents, and other laboratory/field equipment.
- Check and monitor compliance to the applicable protocols, regulations standards and guidelines pertaining to water quality, sampling and maximum contaminant levels.
- Investigate reasons for lapses in water quality and suggesting changes or solutions to these problems.
- Inform the Senior Program manager and WASH Advisor about water points with quality issues and propose corrective measures to be undertaken.
- University degree in public health, Environmental Health, Social Sciences, or related discipline. Experience may substitute for qualifications, but not the other way round.
- Minimum of two years field experience with a strong focus on v/ater quality analysis, hygiene promotion and capacity building
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of WASH programs and Water Quality Testing.
- Knowledge and understanding of physical, chemical and biological contamination of drinking water, its purification and treatment.
- Can Use DelAgua (Wagtech), EXTech water quality testing kit for analysis of drinking water at source and consumer level.
- Good knowledge and experience of issues related to Water Quality Analysis
- Demonstrated monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports