WASH Technical Officer
- Post Date:January 3, 2017
Increasing self-reliance and supporting access to basic services
How to apply: Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications which must include at least 4 reference contacts (2 professional, 2 character references, including your supervisor and the most recent/previous employer), and daytime contact number to; The Human Resource Manager, GOAL Uganda; or email on firstname.lastname@example.org by 8th January 2017.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES. Indicate the position in email subject. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Founded in 1977, GOAL works to promote the realization of the fundamental rights of the poor, the vulnerable, and those affected by humanitarian crisis. GOAL Uganda’s current country programme focuses on Health Accountability and a market based approach to agricultural livelihoods and WASH. GOAL works on a district focused approach, and uses a mixture of direct implementation and partnerships with national and international civil society organizations, local government, the private sector and communities to give effect to our mission. GOAL is currently operational in the North, South, East and West of Uganda with six offices in Kampala, Bugiri, Abim, Kaabong, Agago, and Lira Districts.
GOAL is equal opportunity employer Women and People with disability are encouraged to apply. GOAL is committed to the safety and protection of children in our care from intentional and unintentional harm. Candidates will therefore be expected to comply with GOAL Uganda’s child protection policy.
GOAL is seeking to fill the following positions;
WASH Technical Officer (1 Position)
General Description of the Role:
The WASH Technical Officer is responsible for supervising construction and renovation of sanitation facilities in Bugiri/Namayingo districts under the charity water grant. H/She will work hand in hand with the Senior WASH Programme Manager. Project Manager and local authority to identify suitable communities to benefit from the project using a set criteria.
Reports to: Senior WASH Programme Manager
Contract period: 1 year
Responsible for directing contractors to identified beneficiary institutions/villages for new borehole installations
Assist the contractor to identify suitable locations for the siting of the sanitation facilities, oversee site preparations and layout and agree with stakeholders Ensure that drawings and specifications of the works are followed
Recommend successful completion of sanitation facilities
Check quality of materials and workmanship Ensure the timely completion of all works Record and report all snags
Be involved in the review of contract documentation including drawings, specifications. BOQs and certification.
Suggests potential advantageous building practices, appropriate designs and innovative solutions.
Evaluate and implement good safety practices and constantly stresses same with construction staff.
Selection and repair of existing sanitation facilities
Participate in the identification and selection of suitable institutions/communities to benefit from the project according to set criteria.
Carry out assessments on existing facilities to determine quantities for renovation Supervise renovations
Monitoring and documentation
Gather required baseline and end line data on project interventions
- Conduct frequent field level monitoring and provide feedback to the WASH programme manager
- Provide monthly log frame reports/activity reports to the Programme Manager using agreed formats.
- Collect and document all snags on the works and ensure their rectification during the defects period.
- Ensure that institutions/communities are involved in the monitoring of the construction
- To ensure that there’s an accurate list of all GOAL funded sanitation facilities, GPS coordinates and progress photos are kept.
- To work in close co-operation with District water and health authorities, beneficiary institutions/communities to help improve hygiene, water provision, water testing and mapping of water.
Experience / Skills:
- Higher Technical Diploma in Building and Civil Engineering or Water Engineering or related discipline. Certificate in a related discipline with significant experience supervising construction works can apply.
- Experience may substitute for qualifications, but not the other way round
- Demonstrated experience repairing/removing buildings
- Ability to carry out buildings assessment and develop bills of quantities
- Experience working for international organisations and international NGOs
- Basic knowledge of the following sanitation promotion methodologies is an added advantage, CHAST, CLTS and sanitation promotion.
- Fluency in Kiswahili, Lusamya and Lusoga is an added advantage
- The ideal person must be hard working, flexible and willing to learn. They must be open to new ideas and able to work under pressure.
- Possession of a riding permit (Class A) and ability to ride a motor cycle is required for this job.
Related Jobs (10)
Agriculture Trainer – (1 post) – in North Uganda project, Adjumani. on April 19, 2017 Full Time