Project Officer – Gender Based Violence
- Post Date:February 13, 2017
Job Description – Trócaire Uganda
Job Title: Project Officer – Gender Based Violence
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Date: January 2017
|Description of the unit / department:||Trócaire is one of Ireland’s leading INGO’s, with over 40 years’ of experience in international development. Trócaire works through a partnership approach and is a member of worldwide networks such as Caritas and CIDSE. This is an exciting time in the history of the organisation as we embark on our new strategic plan for 2016-2020. In Uganda Trócaire is working to deliver the new strategic plan focusing on resource rights and gender based violence.
|Reporting to:||Programme Officer – Gender Based Violence|
|Duration of contract and location:||This is a fixed contract for 3 years with the possibility of extension and is based in Kampala Uganda with at least 60% of the time in Acholi and Teso sub-regions.|
|Safeguarding Children Policy:||Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from exploitation and Abuse. The successful candidate will be expected to sign and adhere to Trócaire Safeguarding Policies. In addition the successful candidate will be expected to complete a Self-Declaration Form.|
|Key Duties & Responsibilities||
1. Support to Programme Partners (50%)
· Build and maintain excellent relationships with partner staff.
· Build technical capacity of partners on SASA! Faith and ADR mechanisms through on-the-job training, workshops, exchange visits and formal technical training.
· Support partner staff to develop project proposals, budgets and work plans that meet programme objectives.
· Mentor and guide partner staff in planning, implementation, documentation and monitoring of activities especially SASA! Faith activities.
· Build organisational capacity of partners through the Trócaire Partner Capacity Assessment and support process ensuring plans are drafted and implemented effectively.
· Lead implementation of partner capacity assessments and ensure partner capacity building plans are drafted and implemented effectively.
· Support partners to adopt a women’s empowerment approach to all project activities.
· Support partner organisations to comply with Trócaire’s Child Protection and Safeguarding for International Programmes policies through policy development and roll-out.
1. Monitoring and Evaluation (15%)
· In coordination with the Programme Officer and M&E Officer, ensure timely and accurate M&E of activities to ensure the partner projects remain on track and aligned to the programme outcomes and targets.
· Provide guidance and support to partners on the effective use of Results Based Management.
· Conduct at least quarterly field visits to partners, ensuring project activities are on track and providing support and feedback on implementation.
· Ensure the collection of monitoring data related to SASA! Faith including undertaking relevant data entry, support the process of analysis and deliver quarterly reports on SASA! Faith.
2. Financial Management (15%)
· With the Finance Officer, review partner budgets and financial reports and ensure compliance with Trócaire and donor policies and procedures.
· Preparation and timely transfer of grants to partners.
· Conduct join monitoring visits with the finance team.
3. Administration and Knowledge Management (10%)
· Ensure accurate records for the projects are kept in line with Trócaire and donor guidelines.
· Provide logistical support for programme activities and events.
· Document and share learning with partners, Trócaire staff and externally where appropriate.
· Collect case studies and provide content demonstrating the impact of the projects for donor reports and other publications.
· Co-ordinate and provide administrative support for SASA! Faith trainings of partners.
· Provide administrative support to the Programme Officer as required, including for summaries, contracts, and partner and project files.
4. Other (10%)
· Participate in team meetings, programme annual review meetings and any other meetings as required
· Networking with other INGOs, Church structures and other local NGOs.
· Provide guidance to other programmes on issues related to Gender Based Violence or Women’s Empowerment
· Undertake any other responsibilities assigned by the country management team or programme officer – GBV
|Person Specification – Essential Requirements (E)|
|(E) Qualification||· Third level qualification in: Social Science, Development Studies, or a related area.
|(E) Experience||· Minimum five years of working in an international or local organisation in Uganda or abroad.
· Minimum three years of working in GBV programming
|(E) Skills||· Excellent writing skills with proven experience in policy writing.
· Proven results-based management skills.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills, particularly in promoting organisational learning.
· Excellent communications skills
· Highly organised, with excellent planning, prioritisation and problem-solving skills.
· Good financial skills, particularly in designing and managing budgets.
· Excellent report writing skills and an aptitude for designing projects and proposals.
· Competent in Microsoft packages (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and with internet/email.
· Demonstrate a commitment to gender equality and an ability to influence and engage others to support gender issues.
· Capable of working efficiently under tight deadlines.
· Spoken and written fluency in English.
|(E) Qualities||· Commitment to Trócaire’s Vision, Mission and Values and an understanding of a partnership approach to development.
· Sympathetic understanding of the Catholic Church’s role in relief and development.
· Ability to work with women and men from diverse backgrounds
· Demonstrated and active commitment to gender equality and Women’s Empowerment.
· Ability to work to deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail.
· Ability to learn on-the-job, and an interest in learning about the context, issues and strategies of Trócaire’s programming in Uganda
· Willingness to travel frequently in country.
· Able to work irregular hours on an occasional basis.
· Self-motivated with proven ability to take initiative.
· Strong team player who is able to establish solid working relationships with colleagues in country as well as in Head Office.
|· Clear understanding of policy issues impacting GBV in Uganda
· General understanding of GBV, Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment.
|· The job description above is not prescriptive; it simply outlines the key tasks and areas of responsibilities and priorities. These key tasks are subject to change when necessary. Any changes will be made in consultation with the post holder in the interest of Trócaire’s mission in Uganda.|
|Person Specification – Desirable Requirements (D)|
|(D) Qualification||· Post-graduate qualification in a relevant area is desirable, or significant experience beyond that outlined below.|
|(D) Experience||· Experience of working with faith based institutions
· Experience in gender analysis/gender mainstreaming.
· Experience of strategy development and proposal writing.
· Experience of managing institutional funding
· Experience of working in a partnership arrangement with civil society organisations and the use of participatory approaches to development.
|(D) Skills||· Excellent research, analytical and critical evaluation skills.
· Gender analysis/mainstreaming skills.
· Understanding of programme cycle management and Programme Quality theories, including M&E systems and Results Based Management and impact assessment.
· Spoken Acholi, Ateso and/or Kumam
The deadline for applying is February 20th 2017 at 9:00 am
The salary is negotiable based on experience/skill set but is based on a 12 step grade that begins at approx. 25 million per annum.
Related Jobs (10)
TRAINING IN COMPUTERISED ACCOUTING: QUICKBOOKS PACKAGE on September 22, 2017
Monitoring and Evaluation Manager- West Nile Refugee Response on September 20, 2017 Full Time