Job Description – Trócaire Uganda
Job Title: Programme Officer – Women’s Empowerment (Maternity Cover)
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Date: November 2017
Deadline: 11/12/2017 at 9:00 hrs
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
|Description of the unit / department:||Trócaire is one of Ireland’s leading INGO’s, with over 40 years of experience in international development. Trócaire works through a partnership approach and is a member of worldwide networks such as Caritas and CIDSE. This is an exciting time in the history of the organisation as we implement our new strategic plan for 2016-2020. In Uganda Trócaire is working to deliver the new strategic plan focusing on resource rights and gender based violence.
This role will cover the Programme Officer – Women’s Empowerment Role which is stepping up to cover the Programme Manager – Women’s Empowerment (PM-WE) during maternity leave.
|Reporting to:||Programme Manager – Women’s Empowerment|
|Duration of contract and location:||This is a fixed contract for 5 months and is based in Kampala, Uganda with at least 40% of the time in Acholi and Teso sub-regions.|
|Safeguarding Children Policy:||Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from exploitation and abuse. The successful candidate will be expected to sign and adhere to Trócaire Safeguarding Policies. In addition the successful candidate will be expected to complete a Self-Declaration Form.|
|Key Duties & Responsibilities||
1. Support to Programme Partners
· Build and maintain excellent relationships with partner staff.
· Build technical capacity of partners on advocacy through on-the-job training, workshops, exchange visits and formal technical training.
· Support partner staff to develop project proposals, budgets and work plans that meet programme objectives.
· Mentor and guide partner staff in planning, implementation, documentation and monitoring of activities especially advocacy activities.
· Build organisational capacity of partners through the Trócaire Partner Capacity Assessment and support process ensuring plans are drafted and implemented effectively.
· Lead implementation of partner capacity assessments and ensure partner capacity building plans are drafted and implemented effectively.
· Support partners to adopt a women’s empowerment approach to all project activities.
· Support partner organisations to comply with Trócaire’s Child Protection and Safeguarding for International Programmes policies through policy development and roll-out.
2. Monitoring and Evaluation
· In coordination with the Programme Manager and M&E Manager, ensure timely and accurate M&E of activities to ensure the partner projects remain on track and aligned to the programme outcomes and targets.
· In coordination with the M&E Manager, conduct a joint M&E visit to the partners.
· Provide guidance and support to partners on the effective use of Results Based Management.
· Conduct at least quarterly field visits to partners, ensuring project activities are on track and providing support and feedback on implementation.
· Ensure the collection of monitoring data related to advocacy results is done appropriately.
3. Financial Management
· With the Programme Accountants, review partner budgets and financial reports (financial reporting templates and finance field reports) and ensure compliance with Trócaire and donor policies and procedures.
· Preparation and timely transfer of grants to partners.
· Conduct quarterly joint monitoring visits with the finance team.
4. Administration and Knowledge Management
· Ensure accurate records for the projects are kept in line with Trócaire and donor guidelines. This will include records for both projects managed by the PO but also supporting the Programme Manager to keep records for other projects and at programme level.
· Provide logistical support for programme activities and events.
· Document and share learning with partners, Trócaire staff and externally where appropriate.
· Collect case studies and provide content demonstrating the impact of the projects for donor reports and other publications.
· Co-ordinate and provide administrative support for SASA! Faith trainings of partners.
· Provide administrative support to the Programme Manager as required, including for summaries, contracts, and partner and project files.
· Participate in team meetings, programme annual review meetings and any other meetings as required
· Networking with other INGOs, Church structures and other local NGOs.
· Provide guidance to other programmes on issues related to Gender Based Violence or Women’s Empowerment
· Undertake any other responsibilities assigned by the country management team or Programme Manager – Women’s Empowerment
|Person Specification – Essential Requirements (E)|
|(E) Qualification||· Third level qualification in: Social Science, Development Studies, or a related area.
|(E) Experience||· Minimum five years of working in an international or local organisation in Uganda or abroad.
· Minimum three years of working in GBV programming
|(E) Skills||· Excellent writing skills with proven experience in policy writing.
· Proven results-based management skills.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills, particularly in promoting organisational learning.
· Excellent communications skills
· Highly organised, with excellent planning, prioritisation and problem-solving skills.
· Good financial skills, particularly in designing and managing budgets.
· Excellent report writing skills and an aptitude for designing projects and proposals.
· Competent in Microsoft packages (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and with internet/email.
· Demonstrate a commitment to gender equality and an ability to influence and engage others to support gender issues.
· Capable of working efficiently under tight deadlines.
· Spoken and written fluency in English.
|(E) Qualities||· Commitment to Trócaire’s Vision, Mission and Values and an understanding of a partnership approach to development.
· Sympathetic understanding of the Catholic Church’s role in relief and development.
· Ability to work with women and men from diverse backgrounds
· Demonstrated and active commitment to gender equality and Women’s Empowerment.
· Ability to work to deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail.
· Ability to learn on-the-job, and an interest in learning about the context, issues and strategies of Trócaire’s programming in Uganda
· Willingness to travel frequently in country.
· Able to work irregular hours on an occasional basis.
· Self-motivated with proven ability to take initiative.
· Strong team player who is able to establish solid working relationships with colleagues in country as well as in Head Office.
|· Clear understanding of policy issues impacting GBV in Uganda
· General understanding of GBV, Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment.
|· The job description above is not prescriptive; it simply outlines the key tasks and areas of responsibilities and priorities. These key tasks are subject to change when necessary. Any changes will be made in consultation with the post holder in the interest of Trócaire’s mission in Uganda.|
|Person Specification – Desirable Requirements (D)|
|(D) Qualification||· Post-graduate qualification in a relevant area is desirable, or significant experience beyond that outlined below.|
|(D) Experience||· Experience of working in advocacy based organisations or on advocacy projects.
· Experience of working with faith based institutions
· Experience in gender analysis/gender mainstreaming.
· Experience of strategy development and proposal writing.
· Experience of managing institutional funding
· Experience of working in a partnership arrangement with civil society organisations and the use of participatory approaches to development.
|(D) Skills||· Excellent research, analytical and critical evaluation skills.
· Gender analysis/mainstreaming skills.
· Understanding of programme cycle management and Programme Quality theories, including M&E systems and Results Based Management and impact assessment.
· Spoken Acholi, Ateso and/or Kumam