Program Officer, Agriculture and Natural Resources Management
- Post Date:July 6, 2016
- Apply Before: July 20, 2030
- Career Level ManagerExperience 5 YearsGender Both
- INDUSTRY ManagementQualification Bachelor Degree
The Program Officer, Agriculture and Natural Resources Management works in collaboration with the BRACED Programme Director, Programme Managers and consortium members in the implementation of the multi-year project as part of DFID’s BRACED initiative (Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Extremes and Disasters). The 36-month initiative is designed to build the absorptive, adaptive and transformative capacities of more than 500,000 individual households in northern Kenya (Wajir and Garissa) and northern Uganda (Karamoja). The Kaabong-based Program Officer, Agriculture and Natural Resources Management will play a key role in implementation.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Program Officer, Agriculture and Natural Resources Management works under the supervision of the Natural Resources Management (NRM) Team Leader. The Program Officer, Agriculture and Natural Resources Management will mobilize the BRACED processes for engaging communities, governments and private sector actors in collective action planning that support household and community access to and management of natural, physical environment, improve livelihoods through agriculture extension and the socio-ecological systems supported by it. This can include increased and sustainable food production and access, access to land and water resources for both human and livestock consumption; plus employing innovative methods for land restoration, watershed and water resource management, energy conservation and alternative energy solutions and climate-smart agriculture.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Engage with remote communities to establish priorities for community-led natural resources management, provide sustainable agricultural practices and implementation of identified pilot opportunities for community NRM plan implementation and monitoring.
- Identify opportunity areas and share them with the NRM team leader for alternative methods of climate-smart agriculture.
- Work with Mercy Corps technical staff, Consortium members such as Makerere University, University of Nairobi and other local partners to establish locally appropriate pilots.
- Work with private sector and line district departments and ministries to address environmentally harmful methods of extracting local natural resources.
- Ensure support to policy formulation around sustainable methods, alternative energy mechanisms and water management and conservation.
- Coordinate with counterpart agencies and organizations involved in conservation and climate change adaptation for information community NRM plans.
- Identify community NRM needs and priorities, especially around land access and rangeland management for Karamoja and water resources for production as well as livestock watering.
As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Preferably a degree in a related field of expertise (e.g. Agriculture, NRM, pastoral livestock management, water resources, irrigation, agro-economy, conservation agriculture, environmental policy, etc).
- At least 5 years of technical and practical work experience in one of the required fields, with specific to agriculture extension.
- Basic knowledge of various natural resource disciplines, including air quality, water quality, geomorphic and hydrologic processes, fire and vegetation management, fish and wildlife management, aquatic and terrestrial ecology, conservation biology and restoration ecology.
- Knowledge and experience in either livestock or range land management, irrigation, water harvesting or water saving methods in arid lands.
- Experience and proven track record in rural development and participatory appraisal.
Applications: Submit your application through email email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates.
Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Monday, 18th July, 2016. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. MercyCorps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Related Jobs (10)
Program Assistant and Executive Coordinator, Central Region Office on January 16, 2017 Full Time