The East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO) is an Institution of the East African Community (EAC) established by the 5th Extra-Ordinary Summit of the EAC Heads of State on 18th June 2007, with a mandate of coordinating and facilitating the activities of the Partner States and national science and technology institutions (including the relevant national Commissions/Councils) to promote the development and application of science, technology and innovation in all its aspects, including i) policy development, ii) program development and implementation, iii) knowledge and skills development, iv) research and development, v) technology acquisition, adaptation and utilization, vi) resource mobilization and utilization.
The overall objective of EASTECO is to promote and coordinate the development, management and application of Science & Technology to support regional integration & socio-economic development.
In order to fulfill its mandate, the Commission is inviting applications from qualified persons for the following position:
Organ / Institution: East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO)
Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Job Grade: P4
Job reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary (Head of Programme Development)
To Coordinate EASTECO’s work on Innovation, Technology Development and Acquisition to ensure the effective and efficient development, management and application of Science, Technology and Innovation in the East African Community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development, coordination & execution of a regional innovation strategy including formulation of mechanisms for the identification, promotion and growth of special talents in Science and Technology with particular emphasis on the youth and gender parity;
- Facilitate and drive innovation outcomes with emphasis on projects that may include patentable and/or game changing solutions to solve regional development challenges as well as coordinating with other innovation groups outside the region;
- Identify opportunities for partnerships & drive development of those relationships (joint ventures, strategic partnerships, innovation accelerators, etc.);
- Identify and leverage opportunities for technological development and acquisition;
- Coordinate the design of programs/projects for the promotion, use and development of indigenous knowledge and leverage the potential of applicable research;
- Evaluate and recommend relevant new/emerging technologies and Facilitate their dissemination and adoption;
- Formulate and facilitate the implementation of programs to promote regional science, technology and innovation centres and parks in the Community;
- Ensure that innovative technology solutions are communicated and demonstrated through relevant mechanisms including conferences, exhibitions and other fora;
- Work with relevant partners to develop mechanisms for management of intellectual property in the Community;
- Participate in preparation of Progress reports, work plans and budgets for the Commission.
- Perform other related duties assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme Development.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree (at least Masters Level) in a relevant field of Science and Technology. Other relevant qualifications related to Project management and/or business management will be an advantage.
- 10+ years’ experience in Science and Technology field, science policy and/or scientific research with at least 5 years at a senior level;
- Experience in program/project planning and management and in developing project proposals;
- Knowledge of EAC partner states science, technology and innovation strengths and capabilities is a plus.
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks with the ability to meet stated deadlines,
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop a wide range of high-level contacts within academia, industry, government and civil society;
- Must possess analytical and problem solving skills,
- Self-starter with excellent organisational skills and a proven ability to work independently with little guidance and oversight in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, able to produce clear, concise reports, and to present complex concepts to non-expert audiences;
- Reliable, positive and effective team player with a track record working in multi-disciplinary teams and delivering results through collaboration;
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for science, emerging technologies and the internationalisation of science;
- Advanced skills in computer software applications.
Candidates are invited from all EAC Partner States.
Applicants should not be more than 55 years as retirement age at the EAC is 60 years.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The successful candidate will serve on contract for a period of five (5) years renewable once upon satisfactory performance.
A comprehensive remuneration package commensurate with Professional qualifications and Diplomatic status of the post will be offered to the suitable applicant.
How to Apply:
The interested candidates who meet the above criteria should send electronically their applications to the addressee below, comprising the following:
- Letter of motivation, with the reference – (REF: EAC/EASTECO/HR/03-16).
- Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of the biodata page of passport/ID;
- Certified Copies of degree/certificates;
- Names and contact addresses (with telephone and emails) of 3 referees.
The Executive Secretary
The application deadline is 5th October 2016, 4pm East African Time.
Note: Please note that EASTECO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
Wednesday, 5 October 2016 – 4:00pm