Rakai Health Sciences Program is a collaborative Bio-medical research and service delivery organization. It strives
to improve the quality of life of the local population through a combination of community based research, curative
services and prevention strategies in the district of Rakai, South Western Uganda. With funding from PEPFAR/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), RHSP is implementing a 5 year comprehensive HIV/ AIDS
program in the 12 districts of Masaka region namely; Rakai, Kyotera, Masaka, Kalungu, Bukomansimbi, Lyantonde,
Lwengo, Sembabule, Butambala, Gomba, Mpigi, and Kalangala with an aim of achieving rapid HIV epidemic
control. The Program is seeking to strengthen its staffing position in order to efficiently execute its activities at a
Regional Level. Applications are therefore invited from qualified and competent Ugandans to fill vacant positions
as indicated below
JOB TITLE: Prevention officer – ( 16 positions)
REPORTING TO: District Coordinator but with a link to the Regional Manager- Other prevention
DUTY STATION: Rakai, Kyotera, Masaka, Kalungu, Bukomansimbi, Lyantonde, Lwengo, Sembabule, Butambala,
Gomba, Mpigi, Kalangala.
The Prevention officer provides technical support on psycho- social interventions to supported health facilities in
offering quality counseling services to clients, their families and community members, and to mobilize community
members to respond to the HIV epidemic.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Mentor health workers in provision of quality and comprehensive HIV counseling services to clients and
their partners, and other family members, communities and partners.
• Support health workers and volunteers in the process of empowering clients with skills for self-reliance
and making appropriate succession plans.
• Support establishment and maintenance of Provider Initiated Counseling and testing (PICT) corners at all
• Coordinate and support health workers to plan and implement HIV preventions interventions for key and
• Support health facilities in setting up peer support groups and facilitating the support group meetings for
special populations of people living with HIV
• Support and strengthen skills of health workers to conduct continuous quality improvement activities in
relation to HIV/AIDS prevention
• Support and strengthen quality of CMES provided at the health facilities
• Support health workers and volunteers compile MoH reports and related program reports
• Support health facilities in developing referral systems for clients Coordinate and support health facilities
to scale up community mobilization, sensitization and service delivery for HIV prevention services Any
other assigned duties in line with your role
Education, Key Competencies and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields; Social Sciences, Education, SWASA, Development Studies,
Community and Adult Education, Community Psychology, Guidance and counseling or BSc. Nursing.
• Evidence of having attended HIV Counseling Courses lasting at least one month.
• Active registration with the relevant professional body.
• At least 1 year experience in HIV counseling in a busy clinical setting
• Mentorship, Counseling, and Communication skills
• Computer skills
• Must be willing to travel and provide care services at selected health facilities and outreaches
• Willingness to work and live in rural areas is required
How to apply:
Only qualified applicants should submit their application letter, valid academic documents and detailed resume (C.V)
with three recognizable referees not later than 16th February, 2018, 5:00pm to:
The Human Resource Manager
Rakai Health Sciences Program,
P.O. Box 279, KALISIZO
Deliver to: Rakai Health Sciences Program offices
Clement Hill Plot 8 Kampala
Send by E-Mail to:- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate on the envelope & application; a) the position applied for, b) The district of preference For all online
applications, save your documents as position & district of preference ( eg Sanitary officer- Masaka)