View all Jobs
National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
Key Responsibilities & Duties
1. Maintains an efficient information network system in NIRA i.e. Local Area Networks (LAN) or Wide Area Networks (WAN), email, and all Internet services
2. Maintains Network servers, routers, switches, and related software
3. Maintains server rooms in a tidy manner and ensure that devices and network points are properly identified with labels
4. Maintains an inventory of all IT related equipment showing the physical location, the user, a clear description and specification details
5. Maintains the disaster recovery site Network Infrastructure and ensure business continuity in times of crisis
6. Conducts and documents the quarterly tests of the Business
7. Maintains documentation of all components of the Authority’s
8. Updates network diagrams/plans, procedures and manuals as appropriate specifically by end of every June and December
9. Liaises with third party suppliers and vendors to ensure that all IT- related equipment and networking operating systems operate to specifications
10. Sets up, installs and configures all IT related software and hardware
11. Conducts staff training in Networking, Software and Hardware as
planned form time to time
12. Provides networking assistance to users including help with network connections and passwords etc
13. Monitors network traffic and makes necessary recommendations for additional resources and/or hardware
14. Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Manager ICT.
a. A Bachelor’s Degree with Honors in Computer Science, Information
Technology, Information Systems or a related field is required.
b. Recognized professional ICT qualifications in networking such as CCNA
and CCNP will be an added advantage.
a) At least three (3) years’ experience working with networking infrastructure and WANs with a reputable public or private organization.
b) Working knowledge of LAN and WAN topologies and architecture, including Multi VLAN architecture.
c) Must be able to construct, operate and maintain LAN and WAN
d) A complete knowledge of Gigabit and Ethernet topology interfacing with network IP phone systems. Must be able to research and solve associated problems.
e) Good working knowledge of network equipment such as switches, routers, hubs, and associated equipment and how to construct and maintain networks. Must also have a working knowledge of the software control systems for networks.
f) Working knowledge of Server and PC operating systems, hardware and components including processors, mother boards, accessories, cards, peripherals etc.
g) Must have knowledge of Firewall servers and basic rule setting
h) Understands, installs and configures network equipment utilizing varied protocols such as TCP/IP, Microsoft protocols and NMS.
i) Must have a working knowledge of IP Telephony and QOS service
implementation for network based phone systems.
j) Ability to train users on network concepts and methodologies as well as specific application utilization and configuration.
• Interested persons should send their applications, curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates/ testimonials to the National Director, Profiles International Uganda Limited (PIUL), Plot 26B Tufnell Drive, Kamwokya, Kampala, P.O. Box 3024, Kampala or hand deliver the application at its offices indicated above from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please indicate a daytime telephone contact and names and contact details of 3 referees.
• In your application letter and on the cover of the envelope, clearly indicate which position you are applying for.
• Please ensure the application reaches the above address not later than 24th August, 2016. Applications delivered after the closing date will not be received.
• NO APPLICATION shall be received at any of the NIRA offices.
• If you do not hear from NIRA within two months from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to disqualification.
NIRA has contracted the services of Profiles International Uganda Limited, a reputable Human Resource Consultancy firm to receive all applications on its behalf.