Job Description – Trócaire Uganda
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability Officer
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Date: January 2017
|Description of the unit / department:||Trócaire is one of Ireland’s leading INGO’s, with over 40 years’ of experience in international development. Trócaire works through a partnership approach and is a member of worldwide networks such as Caritas and CIDSE. This is an exciting time in the history of the organisation as we embark on our new strategic plan for 2016-2020. In Uganda Trócaire is working to deliver the new strategic plan focusing on resource rights and gender based violence. The resource rights programme has four main strands – agro-ecology, natural resource rights, ADR for land disputes and economic resources for women. The programme has a strong rights based approach and women’s empowerment approach.
To deliver on this strategy Trocaire Uganda has a team of 20 staff based in Kampala and Gulu. The Resource Rights team in which this position will belong consists of 3 staff – the Programme officer: Livelihoods, the Project Officer: Livelihoods and the Policy Officer – Natural Resources.
|Reporting to:||Programme Manager.|
|Duration of contract and location:||This is a fixed contract for 1 year with the possibility of extension and is based in Kampala Uganda.|
|Safeguarding Children Policy:||Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from exploitation and Abuse. The successful candidate will be expected to sign and adhere to Trócaire Safeguarding Policies. In addition the successful candidate will be expected to complete a Self-Declaration Form|
|Key Duties & Responsibilities||1. Programme Technical Support (30%):
· Support the development, reporting and revision of the country programme results framework in line with organisational and donor priorities.
· Lead in the development and contracting or delivery of programme baselines and evaluations including clear Terms of Reference, appropriate resource allocations and provide quality assurance in line with best practice.
· Lead and support Trócaire staff in the development of programme monitoring and evaluation systems during the programme design phase, including adherence to donor requirements.
· Develop and oversee the implementation of programme results frameworks including planning, development of data collection tools, and guidance on sampling and assurances on data quality.
· Support programme staff in developing specific tools to track quantitative and qualitative data on programme impact.
· Develop and oversee the development of thematic programme M&E guidebooks for partners.
· Conduct analysis of primary and secondary programme data, both quantitative and qualitative, for organisational and donor requirements.
· Train and support programme team in data management, analysis and using results to inform programme strategy/implementation
· Train and support team in improving our gendered monitoring systems
· Lead on a Uganda focused Programme Participant targeting and counting system that complies with global and donor requirements
· Train and support staff on M&E concepts and methodologies and generate training materials and resources for this.
· Train and support the programme team and the RBDM in the development of donor proposals and reports
2. Partner Technical Support (30%)
· Provide technical support to partners on monitoring and evaluation systems.
· In conjunction with the programme officers support partners in the development of project monitoring and evaluation systems including adherence to Trócaire and donor requirements.
· In conjunction with the programme officers support oversee the implementation of project results frameworks including planning, development of data collection tools, and guidance on sampling and assurances on data quality.
· Train and support partner staff in developing specific tools to track quantitative and qualitative data on project impact.
· Train and support partner staff to understand the thematic programme M&E systems with a special focus on the Trócaire mandatory indicators.
· Critical assess the MEAL needs of the partners as part of an overall capacity building strategy with the partners.
· Train and support partner staff on M&E concepts and methodologies and generate training materials and resources for this.
· In conjunction with the programme officers review and critically assess partner proposals and processes to ensure high quality M&E systems.
3. Safeguarding Programme Participants (from Exploitation and Abuse) and Accountability (20%)
· Support the Country Management Team in the delivery of Trócaire’s safeguarding policies at a country office and partner level through training, mentoring of staff and periodic compliance reviews.
· Provide guidance to Trocaire staff and partners on effective downward accountability to programme participants through information sharing, complaint handling mechanisms and independent verification of programme quality.
4. Learning and Communications (10%)
· To keep up to date with trends in monitoring, evaluation and accountability
· To document learning from staff and partners in a manner that is accessible that can be easily communicated to internal and external audiences.
· Actively support the programme team to use monitoring/evaluation data to prompt and promote learning in our work.
· Proactively seek out interesting stories on highlighting the work done by staff and partners especially on accountability
· Produce leaflets, briefings, brochures and case studies on accountability and other issues.
· Copy-edit key work from from partners and programme staff within the office.
5. Other (10%)
· Promote organisational learning on monitoring and evaluation through active participation in country office and programme meetings and workshops and maintain close coordination with Trócaire’s Strategy and Impact Unit in Ireland.
· Represent Trócaire at external meetings, events and networks to share learning and promote our programming.
· Undertake any other responsibilities assigned by the country management team.
|Person Specification – Essential Requirements (E)|
|(E) Qualification||· Graduate degree in development studies or other relevant field
· Recognised courses in Monitoring and Evaluation.
|(E) Experience||· Minimum five years of working in an international or local organisation in Uganda or abroad.
· Minimum three years of working in Monitoring and Evaluation in Uganda or abroad.
· Significant experience in capacity building on monitoring and evaluation in Uganda or abroad.
|(E) Skills||· Excellent understanding of monitoring and evaluation tools and methodologies.
· Proven results-based management skills.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills, particularly in promoting organisational learning.
· Excellent communications skills
· Excellent facilitation skills
· Highly organised, with excellent planning, prioritisation and problem-solving skills.
· Computer literacy skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
· Demonstrate a commitment to gender equality and an ability to influence and engage others to support gender issues.
· Capable of working efficiently under tight deadlines.
· Spoken and written fluency in English.
|(E) Qualities||· Commitment to Trócaire’s Vision, Mission and Values and an understanding of a partnership approach to development.
· Sympathetic understanding of the Catholic Church’s role in relief and development.
· Ability to work with women and men from diverse backgrounds
· Demonstrated and active commitment to gender equality and Women’s Empowerment.
· Ability to work to deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail.
· Ability to learn on-the-job, and an interest in learning about the context, issues and strategies of Trócaire’s programming in Uganda
· Willingness to travel frequently in country and occasionally internationally.
· Able to work irregular hours on an occasional basis.
· Self-motivated with proven ability to take initiative.
· Strong team player who is able to establish solid working relationships with colleagues in country as well as in Head Office.
|· Clear understanding of monitoring, evaluation, learning and accountability concepts and processes
· General understanding of development issues and contexts, preferably in the areas of Sustainable Livelihoods, Resource Rights, Human Rights, Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment.
· Understanding of the rights-based approach and its application in development programming.
|· The job description above is not prescriptive; it simply outlines the key tasks and areas of responsibilities and priorities. These key tasks are subject to change when necessary. Any changes will be made in consultation with the post holder in the interest of Trócaire’s mission in Uganda.|
|Person Specification – Desirable Requirements (D)|
|(D) Qualification||· Post graduate degree in monitoring and evaluation or other relevant field an asset|
|(D) Experience||· Experience in monitoring and evaluation systems for Gender Based Violence programme.
· Experience in monitoring and evaluation systems for resource rights or agro-ecology or economic growth programming
· Experience of Results Based Management Approach
· Experience of working in a partnership arrangement with civil society organisations and the use of participatory approaches to development.
· Experience on safeguarding Programme Participants
· Experience on downward accountability
|(D) Skills||· Excellent research, analytical and critical evaluation skills.
· Gender analysis/mainstreaming skills.
· Experience in delivering Information Communication Technology for Development.
The application deadline for this position is 21st Feb 2017 at 9:00 AM.
The starting point for this position will be UGX 46,000,000 Per Annum.