LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST/MASTERS/PhD STUDENT
- Post Date:December 19, 2016
- Apply Before: March 2, 2017
MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS
EMPLOYMENT AND MASTERS/PhD OPPORTUNITY IN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND SYSTEMS BIOLOGY
Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for basic and applied health research, contributing to the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. The Unit’s head offices are located at the Uganda Virus Research Institute * Entebbe Campus, and the main research activities in Masaka, Mukono, Kalungu, Kampala and Wakiso districts, including the peri-urban areas of Entebbe. MRC/UVRI invites applications from suitably qualified Ugandans for the following contractual post within the Co-Infection Studies Programme and in collaboration with the Makerere University-UVRI Centre of Excellence for Infection and Immunity Research and Training (MUII+) and with Professor Richard Grencis at the University of Manchester, UK.
The Co-Infection Studies Programme, led by Professor Alison Elliott, is interested in the effect of chronic infections (especially with worms or malaria) on health outcomes (including responses to vaccines, and susceptibility to infectious diseases and to non-communicable diseases, such as asthma and diabetes). MUII+ supports translational training and research on infection and immunity, linking laboratory and bioinformatics studies to clinical and epidemiological research. This post is funded by the Royal Society.
LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST/MASTERS/PhD STUDENT. CODE: CISPLT117
Job purpose: The successful candidate will work on a study which is investigating the impact of helminth infections and their treatment on metabolic outcomes, such as diabetes. For the first seven to eight months, the successful candidate will work with the research team in Uganda, processing samples that are being collected as part of a clinical trial among island fishing villages. In September 2017 he/ she will travel to Manchester to undertake the MSc in Systems Biology and Bioinformatics. Subject to excellent performance and confirmation of funding, he/she will then proceed to a PhD at Makerere University, with sandwich attachments in Professor Grencis’s group at the University of Manchester. The project will use samples from Uganda in studies of the impact of helminths and their treatment on microbiome, gene expression and metabolome.
The post holder will be responsible for accomplishing the following:
- Participate in sample reception and processing, and molecular and immunological assays
- Participate in documentation of laboratory aspects of research in keeping with good clinical laboratory research practice (GCLP)
- Participate in day-to-day laboratory organisation and maintenance
- Work with supervisors to develop and execute project work at Masters and PhD level, contributing to study design, execution, writing up, publications and dissemination
Qualifications and Experience:
- a) Essential:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area
- Experience of core molecular assays such as DNA/RNA extraction, quantification, PCR
- Computer literate in MS Office packages
- b) Desirable:
- Preliminary training or experience in bioinformatics approaches and analysis
- GCP and GCLP certification
- Individuals already holding a relevant Master’s degree, but wishing to develop skills in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology are encouraged to apply
Terms and conditions:
The initial laboratory position will be full-time for about 7 months (February to August 2017). The Masters fellowship will run from September 2017 to August 2018. Subject to excellent progress and confirmation of funding by the Royal Society, the PhD fellowship will run from September 2018 to August 2021.
Salary and Allowances:
An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be paid as per MRC/UVRI salary structure, and be replaced by an appropriate student stipend during the Masters and PhD training.
Start date: As soon as possible
Application letters, curriculum vitae including names, email addresses and telephone contact details of three (3) referees, plus copies of academic qualifications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org Not later than Friday 6,h January 2017
Please quote the position code in the subject line of the email.
We appreciate your interest to work for MRC/UVRI however only shortlisted applicants will be invited for interviews.