• Lead the country team in deepening Saferworld’s analysis and understanding of the Somalia
context, periodically review the country strategy; and, as appropriate, adapt it in response to
• Lead the Somalia annual planning and strategy review processes, and contribute to Saferworld’s
wider organisational strategy development by participating in strategic planning and other cross-
• Provide programmatic leadership and advice to programme staff on participatory community
approaches, partnership models, and people-centred and community-led strategies to influence
• Oversee the effective implementation of the country programme, including ensuring that the bi-
annual programme reviews and outcome harvesting processes are held, quality standards are
achieved, and learning informs iterative adaptation.
• Ensure the production and timely delivery of narrative and financial reports for donors and for
Saferworld internal processes with relevant colleagues.
• Lead on the design and development of new and on-going project initiatives and intervention
areas. Be proactive in developing creative ideas and approaches to address the programme’s
core areas of engagement, including access to security and justice; community security; conflict-
sensitive development; and inclusive, responsive, and accountable peacebuilding and State
• Develop and oversee formal and informal partnerships and maintain good relationships with
selected local, national, and international actors based on Saferworld’s partnership principles
and in support of Saferworld’s work in Somalia/land.
• Promote internal lesson-learning within the Somalia/land Country Programme, and with other
Saferworld programmes, to ensure effective knowledge management on cross-organisational
thematic issues and support functions.
• Provide line management to senior programme staff. .
• Ensure the well-being and professional development of the wider team.
• Through cascade management, continue to build a high performing team to deliver on the goals
and objectives of the country programme.
• Ensure high calibre staff are employed with requisite technical expertise; ensure effective and
appropriate staff recruitment processes are maintained, including inductions and regular
performance reviews; aim to achieve appropriate gender and ethnic diversity.
• Retain and develop talent, creating an environment of continuous learning and development,
where staff are encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are willing to be held
accountable for their commitments.
• Ensure the effective implementation of performance management and learning and development
plans; seek appropriate professional development opportunities for the team, individually and
• Inspire team members to internalise, respect, and practice Saferworld’s core values; lead and
encourage a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation.
Finance and Operations
• Ensure that Saferworld Somalia demonstrates good stewardship and compliance with local
legislation and directives, Saferworld’s policies and procedures, and donor procurement
• Plan, manage, and review the country budget, using it as a tool for decision-making and
• Review and agree quarterly financial accounts and sign off financial reports for donors.
• Work with the in-country Finance Manager, HQ Finance Team and the Deputy Head of East
Africa to ensure that we respond appropriately and quickly to the changing environment.
• Ensure in-country finance staff play a full role being proactive, problem solvers and working in
_______ partnership with other country staff._________________________________________________