World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to
working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 70
districts in Uganda implementing projects in Health and Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Livelihoods
and Community Resilience, Education and Child Protection-World Vision is committed to the protection of children
and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is
conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks
|Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for qualified and passionate individuals willing
to share in our vision to join the team in the following roles.
Position: Community Development Assistant – MENU Project
Report to: Project Manager
Location: Lira district
Purpose of the position:
To implement field level project activities in line with targets and donor standards in a manner that contributes to sustained and improved child wellbeing.
Project implementation and reporting
- Participate in planning and budgeting, preparation of work plans, implementation of planned activities and monitoring/ reporting of progress.
- Facilitate and monitor the implementation of planned activities and community level engagements.
- Mobilize and register target beneficiaries, re-organize them into farmer groups to access various support including capacity building, and seedloan planting material support
- Actively participate in project start up workshops, annual and semi-annual planning and review processes sharing sub-county progress and new plans
- Mobilize and facilitate the engagements of sub-county stakeholders during planning and development meetings, workshops and other fora.
- Identify local level partners including VHTs, teachers, health workers, religious leaders and support and facilitate the partners in the implementation of planned activities.
- Facilitate stakeholders and partners in supervision and monitoring of programmatic activities.
- Support the collection and documentation of impact and success stories.
Community engagement and advocacy
- Mobilize and support communities including households with Children under five and mothers of reproductive age to participate and benefit from the project development.
- Support and facilitate the children clubs to plan for and hold meetings and conduct community outreaches (School, parish) on a regular basis and document findings
- Mobilize sub-county stakeholders and engage in dialogues for improved nutrition and health using biofortification
- Keenly mobilize and facilitate active participation of children and their communities in planning, monitoring and implementation of community development initiatives.
- Establish and functionalize at least a drama group per sub-county to create community awareness through seasonal drama shows.
- Mobilize communities to participate in annual events such as farmer open days, local seed and food fairs, food preparation and feeding competitions and child days plus.
- Mobilize and support local leaders, religious leaders, cultural leaders, technical teams and other stakeholders to participate in awareness campaigns including radio and other media shows, dialogues etc.
- Support functionality of sub-county nutrition coordination committees and share findings.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Facilitate formation and coordination/registration of community structures including CRPs, VHTs, teachers into COVAs to help in project monitoring
- Maintain constant contact with the beneficiaries/farmers groups through such structures (CRPs, VHTs, and teachers) to ensure focus and progression in what they are doing.
- Participate in and support donor organized surveys and other studies
- Jointly conduct planning and review with sub-county stakeholders, monitoring visits for learning and awareness raising annually
- Monitor seed access and recovery through seed loan and voucher system
- Collect relevant and accurate data monthly, quarterly for feeding into main database
- Participate in data tools development, review and testing for accuracy and reliability
- Participate in capacity building events organized by donor in fields to include Seeds systems, Nutrition, Marketing and Product development, Advocacy as and when called on
- Share monitoring outcomes with sub-county stakeholders during periodic reflections
- Compile and share quality monthly, quarterly and semi-annual reports with supervisor, supported by photos and progress stories
Innovation and documentation
- Establish community technology dissemination strategies including sweet potato vine multiplication and conservation and multiplication of iron beans
- Establish demonstration plots at sub-county, health centres, schools for comparison of practices and learning practically
- Innovatively design experiments, conduct on-farm research geared at finding solutions to farmer needs
- Contribute ideas to articles and publications in media raising awareness on biofortification influencing various stakeholders
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Diploma in Agriculture, Nutrition, Rural Development or Degree in Development Studies, Adult and Continuing Education or any other relevant field. Additional training and exposure in community development, agronomy, community nutrition will be an added advantage
- Two years’ progressive experience in community development work in the fields of agriculture, food security, livelihood, nutrition with sound understanding of project implementation cycle
- Networking and influencing skills
- Strong experience in documentation and evidence based/impact reporting
- Ability to work in a team to achieve excellence in execution, committed, accountable and passionate about the work we do.
- Commitment to World Vision mission and partnership values and sensitivity to its various expressions across cultures and denominations.
- Track record demonstrating high integrity, reliable and dependable
- Able to ride a Motor Cycle with a valid riders permit-class A
- Able to communicate in the local language of the project area (Luo Language)
Application closing date is Friday, 2nd February 2018 at 5:00 pm Please get the details of all the Jobs above, how to apply and more information about us from our Website: http://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-uganda (Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply) We do appreciate your interest in working with us. However, due to large number of applicants only short listed candidates shall be contacted for interviews through e-mail within two weeks after the deadline.