The Government of Uganda (GoU) has applied for a loan from the African Development Bank (AfDB) to ﬁnance the Farm income Enhancement and Forestry Conservation (FIEFOC) Programme (Project 2).
The project speciﬁc objective is to improve household incomes, food security, and climate resilience through sustainable natural resources management and agricultural enterprise development.
The project consists of four components namely:
- Agriculture Infrastructure Development
- Agribusiness Development
- Integrated Natural Resources Management
- Project Management.
The Ministry of Water and Environment therefore wishes to recruit qualiﬁed personnel to provide technical support to the project as speciﬁed below.
Reports to: National Project Coordinator
Develop alternative livelihoods and business development initiatives and activities that will further the achievement of project objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Appraise and analyze the ﬁnancial viability of the natural resources conservation-based value addition technologies for small-holder farmers;
- Identify and engage with national and local stakeholders (farmers, traders, mechanization and business service providers, ﬁnancial institutions etc.) involved or interested in supporting the provision of agri-business services amongst smallholder farmers and facilitate linkages and contracts;
- Supervise the development of youth-led agro-businesses under the ENABLE Youth pilot initiative to deliver agribusiness technical skills and enterprises to the youth;
- Build and maintain linkages to appropriate ﬁnancial products targeting rural service providers and smallholder farmers in consultation with collaborating ﬁnancial institutions.
- Supervise the training of farmers, traders, mechanization and business service providers, and associated businesses in business management, ﬁnancial management and marketing;
- Contribute to the development of promotional materials and marketing strategies by the private sector to support small scale mechanization;
- Assess and enhance the performance of the business models and develop upgrading strategies;
- Regularly share information on progress of implementation and any challenges and emerging issues with the NPC to support rapid resolution of such challenges.
- Diagnose constraints in the delivery of agribusiness technical skills and enterprises and develop options;
- Facilitate establishment of market information system to farmers through mobile operators;
- Facilitate linkages between farmers and producers, processors and traders;
- Prepare periodic progress reports; and m) Perform other duties as assigned from time to time by the National Project Coordinator.
Qualiﬁcations and Experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Food Technology, Agribusiness or other related disciplines from a recognized university.
- Masters degree in agribusiness management, agricultural economics or other related disciplines.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in value chain development methodologies, program management, agribusiness or agricultural development activities with local communities;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of agricultural value chains (Fish, Apiary, and Rice preferred)
- Proven exposure and experience supporting producer organizations to access agricultural inputs, advisory and business development services, and output markets; increase their production and marketing efficiency and enhance product competitiveness.
- Demonstrated high-level technical, analytical, interpersonal skills and ability to meet tight deadlines with logical analyses and clear presentation.
- Prior and proven experience successfully implementing African Development Bank/Nordic Development Fund/ World Bank funded programs is an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills and creative thinking personality
- Strong managerial and leadership skills and excellent computer skills (proﬁciency in Microsoft Ofﬁce Applications such as Excel, Power Point)
Job application procedure
All applications must be accompanied with recent CV detailing work experience, present position, current remuneration, professional and educational qualiﬁcations.
Applicants must also include contact details (telephone and email) of three (3) referees.
Applications should be physically delivered to the address below not later than 5th August, 2016.