The purpose of this consultancy is to establish a baseline measurement for a 7 month Safety Net and Resilience (SNR) Program. A clear survey methodology, including tools, will also be established for monitoring purposes as well as for use during the endline assessment. The methodology must include control group sampling.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps recently launched a SNR program funded by the World Food Program in Northern Karamoja. The goal of the 7 month program (August 2016 through February 2017) is to enhance the production capacity of the most vulnerable farming communities to improve food security and nutritional outcomes. Activities are implemented in the Karamoja Districts of Kaabong and Kotido.
Mercy Corps is a secular INGO that has worked to alleviate poverty and oppression in transitional environments since 1979. Operational in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps implements programs designed to promote good governance, peace, food security, the health and nutrition of women and children, and economic development across Northern Uganda.
Mercy Corps seeks a consultant who can design and conduct the baseline survey for the SNR Program in close collaboration with the Program Manager, team members, and Mercy Corps M&E staff. The purpose of this is to:
- Design a baseline survey that allows target groups to be compared to control groups, and tools adopting a mixed-method quantitative and qualitative approach;
- Oversee and conduct the baseline survey;
- Produce a baseline report for internal and external communication;
- Define key research questions to be answered considering nutrition and food security indicators,
- Develop implementation plan that completes the data collection in August with final report in September.
- Finalize and design the proposed methodology, sample size, survey protocols and questionnaire
- Train field supervisors and enumerators
- Supervise and actively participate in data collection
- Compile, review and analyze data collected
- Finalize and submit a baseline report to Mercy Corps based on the survey findings
- Tools for the baseline survey, including key research questions and survey;
- Implementation plan
- Baseline report in an agreed format based on the data collected;
- Implementation plan, tools design, data collection by Sept 16, 2016
- Analysis, final report September 30, 2016
The Consultant will report to:
Brian Oyugi, Program Manager
The Consultant will work closely with:
SNR team, M&E team, Enumerators
- Technical expertise in data collection and survey design
- Four year university degree in agricultural sciences that includes statistical methods and analysis
- Strong participatory facilitation skills
- ‘Five years previous relevant experience, including designing and conducting baseline and/or endline assessments, development of M&E systems, program startup M&E activities, evaluation of crop production and storage/food security/agricultural/market systems programs, technical assistance, consultancies, etc.
- Fluency in English with highly professional report writing capabilities (samples will be requested)
- Experience with crop production/market systems development programs strongly preferred
- Experience in Uganda, in particular Karamoja, preferred
- Cultural sensitivity
- Locally based consultants and women are encouraged to apply. VI
How to apply:
How to apply: Submit your application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Submission should include;
1) Qualifications & Experience (including CVs)
2) Approach to the SoW
3) References from previous (similar) work 4) Cost proposal